Sunday 11 August 2013

For shame!

I play Grey Knights. There, I said it.  To my eternal shame I play the Daemon Hunters.  I play them for all the wrong reasons too.  

Psycannons for everyone!  I freely admit, I have a problem.

My first encounter with them was against Alistair who had bought the 5th edition codex along with some Paladins, Purifiers and Kaldor Draigo.  I think about 10 of them 'cleansed' my entire army in a game.  Having tried out a few combinations and being a generally decent fellow,  Alistair decided that Grey Knights were filth and promptly sold his burgeoning army.

I bought them from him.  I tell myself that this was because I was unused to playing MEQ armies and had trouble with a lot of rules, especially vehicles which Nids don't get.  The truth is, I just wanted to thrash someone.  I'd seen all those dirty lists on the internet spamming razorbacks and psyfleman dreads and I wanted a piece of the action.  I converted some starter set dreadnoughts, painted them silver and prepared to kerb stomp some poor, unsuspecting fool.  I got my just rewards by losing every game.  So I boxed the army up with the firm intention of burying them at the bottom of the garden, never to see the light of day.  A bit like all those copies of E.T. the Extra Terrestrial for the Atari 2600 buried in the New Mexico desert.  I even hated the fluff, truth be told.  I thought that the Ordo Malleus were a bunch of jack-booted, Masonic Nazis from an Orwellian 'Ministry of Love'.   Luckily, someone lent me a copy of 'Ravenor' by Dan Abnett and I changed my mind.  Members of The Inquisition could be radicals and (un)sanctioned psykers fell through the cracks in the system.  Wheelchair bound detective Ravenor was kick-ass.  I also found Grey Knights easy to paint and a refreshing break from the dozens of failed Nid colour schemes I had attempted.  I painted Draigo in about 3 sessions and was very pleased with him (even if he does remind me of Fagin from Oliver Twist)

You've got to pick a pocket or twooooo!

Anyway, I'm rambling.  I haven't even looked at my Nid models since Call To Arms and wanted to play around with something completely different.  I have bought a much maligned Dreadknight. I'm very dubious of the whole 'baby carrier' thing. However, I have made it my mission in life to try and make him look cool.

Lets boogie!

No comments:

Post a Comment