Thursday 17 October 2013

Gribblies

Continuing the theme of Necron objective markers with a Genestealer twist, I decided to create some more. This time without the Necrons.  Which kind of makes them just Genestealers really. Sue me. I don't plan to use them in games any time soon but it was fun to use up all my spare parts and bits of scenery.

Is it nice, my precious?  Is it scrumptiously crunchable?
I need to stop pissing about and paint my Necron army but the prospect fills me with complete indifference.  I even won another game last week with cheesy Imotekh the Stormlord and the broken invasion beams rule on Night Scythes (Fly off the board a lot. Drop Warriors onto objectives turn 5).  I don't like winning two games in a row.  It raises expectations and you can't whine about it.  I'm so used to getting my face pushed in that I start to wonder if I'm cheating.  Its not like I've actually read the Necron codex since it came out and my FAQ dates back to early 2012.

In fact I sometimes wonder if we are all playing the rules properly at all.  I read somewhere the other day that the new Space Marine Stalkers and Hunters can fire at full ballistic skill against Wave Serpents.  I was genuinely surprised, but when I looked up the Skyfire rule (p42), there it was plain as day, "fires using its normal Ballistic Skill when shooting at Flyers, Flying Monstrous Creatures and Skimmers".

Another rule we overlooked for about 6 months in my gaming group is that ruins provide a 4+ cover save but if the ruin is mounted on a base, then the base only gives you 5+.  And I don't think I've ever remembered during a game that going to ground in area terrain gives you +2 to your save, not +1.  Not that it makes much difference with Nids in synapse which are fearless and can't do it.

Maybe all this 'meta game' stuff boils down to rules interpretation and personal preference. I had a 15 minute argument with one of my opponents at Call To Arms about being able to choose which assaulting unit to overwatch.  We even called a TO over who ruled that you can choose.  I was gobsmacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment