Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Hive Biatch

I read a really interesting article on BOLS which discussed the origin of Tyranid names.  Crone, Termagant, Harridan, Harpy, Dominatrix are all disparaging names for women apparently.  I can fully relate to this because my Crone was such a bitch to paint.  I don't mind all the fiddly bits, the fact that it is a really detailed monstrous creature is great.  The problem is that it was so awkward to actually hold the fricken thing steady.  When I'm painting, I cradle the model in my hands, bracing the heels of my palms together and resting my elbows on the desk.  It creates a really steady platform for detailed brush strokes, but in this case I just could not get the thing comfortable in my hands.  Its too big and unwieldy and the damn tail kept snagging in my sleeves.  I strongly recommend painting this one with the wings unnassembled at the very least.  You can't even fix it to the stand, unless you want to glue it which will make it near impossible to pack and transport efficiently.


Anyway, the finished result was worth it.  The model is much nicer in person than pictures suggest. (Why do GW take unflattering pictures of their own products?  You look at the White Dwarf shots and think, "ugh, I don't want that" only to discover that the model, in your hands, is beautiful.  Honestly, take a closer look at a Space Marine Centurion, they're actually quite cool.  The glaring exception to this is, of course, the Militarum Tempestus Taurox.



Every time I see a picture of it something inside me screams Army Surplus Special out of Wacky Races)


I decided to put my testiclids on top of the carapace rather than under the wings.  It makes it a bit busy and the torso looks even bulkier but I still prefer it that way.  How does the monster flap it's wings with four ruddy great trilobite things stuck on them?  Maybe they aren't attached and the little beasties just fly close to mother like baby fish.  Anyway, its too late now, I've glued the mountings.  The testiclids themselves are only blu tacced for the moment.  I need smaller magnets.


The underside of the model is possibly more interesting than the top.  Not very aerodynamic but it has lots of niddy ribs and spikes and turgid sacs.  Nice.


and I'm chuffed with my base:


8 comments:

  1. Great model, great painting, great base...but the greatest is the name! Hive Biatch is something I would proudly use in my games, if you don't mind.

    Greetings from Italy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all. I stupidly put 'biatch' through a translator to see if I had inadvertently made some sort of Italian joke. I'm not sure 'Hive Cagna' has the same ring to it. Anyway, thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
    2. Well, "cagna" means "female dog", but in italian language it has a negative connotation and it's usually used to offend women, whether they deserve it or not. So, yes, it's more or less the same.

      Italian modern culture is absorbing a lot of english words, you know... :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, since you are commenting very eloquently in English on a blog written in English, I feel a little foolish about my comment.

      Delete
  2. Looking great Luke - how did she do in the game with Rob last night? Also meant to ask - where did you get the skeleton you used on the base? It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All newly painted models die horribly on their first outing. It is an immutable law of nature :) She was grounded and assaulted by his Sorceror the turn she arrived from reserve.

      The base is made from half a zombie dragon. I used the wings to convert my Harpy but felt bad about wasting the rest of it. The other half is on my Stormraven base along with the Ghoulie thing. The base rocks are on my genestealers. The vampire lord I gave away. Nothing is wasted. Everything is consumed.

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I couldn't understand the wing-mounted Tentaclids either. They can also look good mounted underneath, doesn't take much to get a decent magnetized fitting somewhere in the ribcage.

    The key for the Taurox is to convert it to have wheels, and then use the tracks to scratch-build Rapiers. It looks so much better on wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I actually commented on this in another post: http://monkeychuka.blogspot.co.nz/2015/05/maelstrom-viii.html
      Even the half-track looks cool. I'm told that Ork Truck wheels work best.

      Delete